Some homeowners avoid choosing darker carpeting shades because they believe that a dark hue will make the room appear dull or dingy. However, colors such as black, navy blue, dark green, burgundy and even purple are becoming trendy home carpeting choices. These colors can provide a stylish, elegant appearance, especially in rooms with an abundance of natural lighting.
The Pros of Dark Carpet
A few of the many dark carpet color benefits include:
- Cleaner appearance: One of the biggest drawbacks of choosing a lighter carpeting color such as beige, light blue or cream is how hard they are to keep clean. The problem gets worse in high-traffic rooms or if you have kids, pets, or an outside entrance door. Dark carpet colors won’t show dirt or stains as easily as light carpet colors, and they require less work. You won’t have to vacuum and shampoo them as often, and you’ll spend less money on professional cleaning.
- Easier matching: Dark carpet colors blend well with most furniture, drapes and other decor features. They offer a visually appealing contrast if you choose some of the lighter furnishing shades common in today’s modern decor packages. If you’re designing a room from scratch, a darker color may give you more decorating options.
- Hiding seams: Even a high-quality, professional carpet installation may leave a seam or two where there are small gaps between pieces of carpeting. A darker shade will make these seams less visible than a lighter color.
- Coziness: Dark carpets have a way of making a room feel smaller and cozier. This is an attractive feature for a living room, family room, den or bedroom. Dark brown or earth tones tend to heighten this effect more than other darker hues.
- Warmth: Darker carpets tend to absorb heat more than lighter shades, which can make them a better choice for rooms where you want to create a cooler environment.
- Longevity: Many darker colored carpets consist of thicker materials than their lighter counterparts. Consequently, they often last longer and may require less upkeep to keep them in good condition.
Choose a Color That Matches Your Tastes
While all of these factors are excellent reasons for selecting a dark carpet color, you must be happy with whatever shade you choose. After all, you’ll need to live with your decision for years to come. Make sure you view samples of several colors in your home, instead of in a store, so you can see how your new carpet will really look after the installation.
50 Floor Can Help You Make the Right Decision
When you choose 50 Floor as your carpeting provider, you’ll get to shop at home with an expert who will guide you through the entire process. You’ll see how the color will look in your home’s light and blend with your decor, enabling you to make the right decision with total confidence.
Contact us to schedule a free in-home carpeting consultation today.