As news spreads about COVID-19 and people are advised to stay home and stay safe, many questions are cropping up — and for good reason. One popular question homeowners have been asking is how long coronavirus can survive on carpet. In this article, we’ll address this inquiry as well as offer tips for keeping your carpet clean and safe for your family.
COVID-19: The Infectious Lifespan of Viruses
The coronavirus and similar viruses can be distributed through sneezing, coughing, talking and physical contact. The infectious lifespan of these illnesses, including the coronavirus, depends on humidity, temperature and the porosity of the surface hosting the virus.
In general, dry, cold environments extend the lifespan of viruses. Viruses such as COVID-19 can also remain infectious for about twice as long on non-porous surfaces than porous surfaces. Because carpets and upholstery are considered porous surfaces — just like clothing, wood and similar materials — they’re less hospitable to COVID-19 than non-porous ones.
Although it’s not certain how long the virus that causes COVID-19 can remain active on surfaces, studies suggest that the coronavirus can survive on a surface for anywhere from 2 hours to a few days.
Tips for Keeping Your Carpet Clean
When there’s a virus or other illness going around, the best way to keep your carpets clean is to practice good hygiene for the whole home:
- Wear disposable gloves when cleaning and disinfecting surfaces. Discard gloves immediately after treating any surface in your home.
- Use products with the EPA-approved emerging viral pathogens claims that are expected to be effective against COVID-19 and will thoroughly cleanse porous surfaces.
- Wash your hands often. Wet your hands with clean running water before slathering them with soap. For 20 seconds each, scrub between your fingers, under your nails and on the backs of your hands. Rinse and dry. If you find yourself in a pinch and can’t get to a sink, use a hand sanitizer that contains 60% alcohol at minimum.
- Utilize alcohol-based wipes instead of baby wipes to clean surfaces.
- Disinfect frequently touched surfaces in your home, like doorknobs, light switches, floors, walls and countertops.
- Use a HEPA filter in your vacuum so that small particles are trapped inside instead of being recirculated.
- Keep shoes clean by using a doormat, then leave them by the door and treat them with disinfectant.
- Schedule a professional cleaning service for your rugs, carpets and upholstery. While natural home fixes may spot-treat stains, substances like vinegar won’t kill coronavirus, so it’s best to call for a professional clean to make sure your carpet is as safe as possible.
Schedule an In-Home Appointment With 50Floor Today
In times like these, when you may be worried about picking up germs, it’s best to stay indoors. The good news is that this doesn’t mean you have to put your floor plans on hold. At 50Floor, we’re committed to providing you with exceptional customer service so that you can shop for flooring in the comfort of your own home. Our team is still providing our customers with in-home flooring estimates so they can stay safe and avoid crowds and public spaces.
Other benefits of taking advantage of in-home flooring estimates include envisioning your flooring with greater precision, experiencing the convenience of in-home shopping and enjoying incredible pricing accuracy.
Enjoy a more convenient experience shopping for flooring and contact 50Floor to schedule your in-home appointment today.