Choosing a new floor can be exciting — if you’re like most homeowners, you probably can’t wait to see how it will revitalize the look and feel of the room. But with so many options available these days, the process can also feel a little overwhelming. Color selection is one area that many buyers struggle with as you want to be sure it will complement the room’s decor and other characteristics.
How to Choose a Floor Color
Here at 50 Floor, we understand the challenges many homeowners face when selecting a floor color. We’ve assembled the following list of tips to make the process a little easier and less stressful:
- Consider the size of the room: If you’re putting a new floor in a large or wide room, going with a darker color will make a sprawling space feel somewhat smaller and cozier. In contrast, a lighter color such as beige or cream can help “open up” cramped living areas and make them seem bigger.
- Type of lighting: Are you installing a floor in a room with large windows that allow plenty of sunlight to enter? A darker floor color will create a visually appealing contrast that produces a dramatic effect. In rooms that rely on more artificial light, a lighter shade will make them feel brighter and livelier. If possible, experiment with samples at different times of the day to get the full impact.
- Furniture and other decor features: You want your flooring color to complement, rather than clash with the rest of the interior. Consider the color of your furniture, artwork and other statement pieces you already have or are planning to put in the room. Be certain that your flooring color will blend with these items.
- Mood: You can choose colors that project a variety of moods. If you’re going for sunny and fun, consider a floor with a yellow shade. If you want to create a peaceful, laid-back environment, choose gray. If you prefer class and elegance, black is the best option.
- Similar or contrasting: Do you have flooring in several connecting rooms in your home or an open floor plan? You’ll need to decide whether you want the same flooring color in every room or throughout the area. Making them alike creates a sense of flow that has a unifying effect. However, choosing a different color for each room or area helps to establish separate living zones.
The Experts at 50 Floor Can Help You Choose Your Flooring
At 50 Floor, our shop at home process removes all the guesswork from choosing floor colors. Because we come to you at your convenience, you can view as many samples as you wish in your home’s light. You can make your selection with complete confidence — and you won’t waste valuable time driving to the local home improvement store. You’ll also appreciate our tremendous selection, competitive prices and expert advice.
Feel free to contact us with your floor color questions or to set up a no-obligation in-home consultation today.