Being able to sink your toes into soft, plush carpeting on a cool day is a wonderful feature of your home. In your living room, carpets can add a stylish look and can let you sit comfortably on the floor to play with your children and pets. In the bedroom, carpets ensure you can place your feet on a warm and soft surface in the mornings.
Underpinning these surfaces is carpet padding. If you are considering installing carpeting in your home, it’s important to understand this part of the installation process.
What Is Carpet Padding?
Also known as cushion, carpet padding is a foam layer that is installed directly under most of the surface of your carpet, between the underside of your carpeting and the subfloor. It is usually attached to the subfloor using staples or glue. Most padding offered is a rebound type of cushion made from recycled foam. There are several hypoallergenic options out there as well — just seek the advice of a home flooring expert if you’re unsure what type to get.
Importance of Carpet Padding
The importance of carpet padding is impossible to overstate. Benefits include:
- It provides a layer of thermal insulation, helping you control your heating costs.
- It makes the floors softer and allows your feet to sink deeper into the carpet.
- It helps you clean your floors by slightly raising your carpet, allowing your vacuum to extract more dirt. This can also make it easier to control allergens in your home.
- It protects your subfloor from any water or moisture if you steam clean your carpets or spill something on them.
- It muffles noise, particularly from walking.
- It protects your carpets by keeping them from being ground into the subfloor.
You can’t install carpet without this vital layer underneath it.
Tips For Choosing Carpet Padding
To find the best carpet padding for your home, consider the following points.
- Check your carpet manufacturer’s recommendations. It is essential to keep in mind that some types of cushion may void your warranty, so always follow recommendations for the thickness and types of padding that are recommended for your flooring. If you’re not sure which padding goes with which carpet, the experts at 50 Floor can make recommendations for your carpet.
- Consider thickness. If you choose padding that is too thick, it may lead to wrinkles in your carpet. If the padding is too thin, it will not provide enough protection for your carpets. Always follow your manufacturer’s suggestions when selecting padding. In general, cushion between one-quarter and seven-sixteenths of an inch is best for most rooms.
- Think about materials. Foam may be made from rubber, foam and fibers. Consider whether a specific material is ideal for you. Green options are available, too, which appeals to many customers.
- Consider carpet use. For heavy-traffic areas, select a higher density cushion to absorb the extra wear and tear. High-density materials will also feel firmer, which you may prefer for some rooms. For lower-traffic spots where softness is important, consider lower density.
Taking the needs of your space into account, plus expert recommendations, will ensure you get the perfect padding for every carpeted room in your house.
Choosing the Right Cushion — Ask the Experts at 50 Floor
Discuss the best padding options for each carpet with our experts. If you are looking for carpets for your home, book a no-cost consultation with 50 Floor today. Your in-home consultation will educate you about different carpeting choices and let you view samples so you can find the perfect carpet for your home.